We realize the urgency to get children tested for COVID-19 to limit spread of the disease and get children back to school and parents back to work as soon as possible. Please know we are working to return calls, see patients, and fax results as soon as possible.
Concord Pediatrics offers two testing options - Rapid Antigen Testing (15 minute) [as long as supplies are available] and PCR Testing (1 day). We are following current NH Department of Health and Human Services and CDC Guidelines when determining which test to use. Please check with your school or daycare to see if they require a PCR test as opposed to a rapid test.
Scroll down for:
- A note about home tests for COVID-19
- My child had contact with someone with COVID-19. What day should they get tested?
- Rapid Antigen Testing: only on days 1-5 for those with symptoms
- PCR Testing: for patients with or without symptoms
- COVID-19 Pricing Transparency
A note about home tests for COVID-19.
You may have seen "Rapid Antigen Tests" for use at home for sale in various stores. If they are bought from a reputable seller/pharmacy, are a brand/test that is approved by the CDC, and are used exactly according to instructions - these can be accurate and useful tests. However, the Rapid Antigen Tests currently available are not ideal for screening - or testing people who are not sick (PCR test is the proper choice in this situation). The Rapid Antigen Tests can be less accurate if a person does not have symptoms, however this does not mean a positive test can be disregarded. If your child tests positive on a home test, call the NH Department of Health and Human Services at 603-271-4496.
- See our information about what to do if your child has COVID-19 here.
- Please note that Concord Pediatrics cannot write Back to School/Daycare/Sports notes based on home tests results.
FAQ: My child had close contact with someone with COVID-19 and is quarantining (the person is in the same household and your child is not immunized), or self-observing for symptoms (contact was outside of the household). What day should they get tested?
- PCR testing on day 5-7 may be helpful to know if your child is coming down with COVID-19 but is not required by NH State. Your school or daycare may have set up their own guidelines.
- A negative PCR test does not rule out the possibility of later infection (a person could get sick on day 9 or 10 after exposure).
- A Rapid Antigen Test is not currently an option for someone without symptoms.
Rapid Antigen Testing: only on days 1-5 for those with symptoms
Concord Pediatrics can do Rapid Antigen Testing [Sofia 2 SARS Antigen or Abbott BinaxNOW Antigen Test] with results in 15 minutes on patients with symptoms, during the first 5 days of illness. A positive antigen test result in a symptomatic person is treated as true-positive and does not need PCR confirmation. If your child has symptoms concerning for COVID-19, the Rapid Antigen Test is a good option on days 1-5 of illness. You may choose instead to do a PCR (send out test with results in an average of 1 day), which has a slightly higher sensitivity, if preferred. If you child has been sick for over 5 days, a PCR test is the only option. We will do Rapid Antigen Tests as long as supplies are available.
*If a Rapid Antigen Test is negative, that means there was not a lot of virus present on that day. When there is high suspicion for COVID-19, such as in the case of a sick person who was in close contact to someone with COVID-19, or a person who reports very specific symptoms of COVID-19 (like total loss of taste or smell) we could consider sending a PCR on the same day, or in the following days if symptoms worsen to confirm that the person is negative.
*A negative Rapid Antigen test result in a symptomatic person does not require PCR to confirm the result, and the individual can return to school or work once they are also fever-free (off fever reducing medications) and other symptoms are improving for at least 24 hours.
*Per NH Department of Health and Human Services guidelines, Concord Pediatrics will not use Rapid Antigen Testing for asymptomatic (not sick) people due to limited data and possibly lower sensitivity and specificity (resulting in false negatives and positives). Please call us if your child's school is requiring a Rapid Antigen Test for a specific protocol.
PCR Testing: for patients with or without symptoms
Concord Pediatrics can send PCR Tests for patients with or without symptoms. We usually see results within 1 day. This is the appropriate test for a person who has had contact with someone with COVID-19 but is not showing any symptoms*, or for someone who has been sick for more than 5 days, or who needs a screening test for camp, school, or sports.
*A negative PCR test is very reassuring, however if symptoms worsen, repeat testing should be considered. It is possible to have a false-negative result, or to become symptomatic on day 9 or even 14.
COVID-19 Pricing Transparency
If you need a COVID-19 diagnostic test, you may be curious about what a test will cost you. We publish our COVID-19 diagnostic test price list online in accordance with provisions in the CARES Act.
Important Facts to Keep in Mind
- If you have insurance, please note that many insurance plans cover COVID-19 diagnostic testing at no cost to you.
- The actual price you pay will likely be lower than the price listed on this page because prices listed do not take into account insurance coverage or other financial assistance.
- COVID-19 diagnostic testing options are rapidly evolving, and therefore tests and prices are subject to change. Our published price list is accurate as of 1/15/2021.
Please call your insurance agency before your appointment if you have questions about your insurance coverage for COVID-19 testing.
- Quest COVID-19 PCR A qualitative multi-target molecular test that aids in the detection of COVID-19 in nasal swabs; this test is swabbed at Concord Pediatrics, then sent to Concord Hospital and billed through Concord Hospital: $263.00* (per Concord Hospital)
- Sofia SARS Antigen FIA A rapid antigen-based point-of-care test for the detection of COVID-19 completed (swabbed) at, and billed through Concord Pediatrics: $125.00*
*These listings do not include billings for the office visit for patient evaluation and specimen collection at Concord Pediatrics.